The mission of the Harford Land Trust is to help landowners, private and public, to conserve land and protect the natural resources, scenic beauty, rural character, and a healthy way of life in Harford County, Maryland.
The Harford Land Trust is Harford County's first and only county-wide land trust that helps protect farms, forests and community parks by providing technical and financial assistance to landowners who want to preserve their land.
The Harford Land Trust joins over 52 other land trusts protecting land throughout Maryland, and over 1500 other land trusts in the Land Trust Alliance. Utilizing the Land Trust Alliance's standards and practices, a small proficient paid staff, a diverse board of directors, and capable volunteers, the Harford Land Trust carries out its mission. Currently, our main initiatives include:
- Counselling private landowners on how to best utilize the various local and state programs for selling or donating development rights in exchange for Conservation Easements held by HLT and the Maryland Environmental Trust, our easement and stewardship partners.
- Growing HLT membership across the county and state by increasing individual, family, business and corporate membership and sponsorship.
- Escalating the HLT Campaign to Preserve Land. This fund financially supports the operations of HLT by reimbursing expenses for land easement acquisitions and negotiations, and outreach activities.
- Continue an ongoing partnership with the U.S. Army Compatible Use Buffer program to preserve land and create wildlife habitat around Aberdeen Proving Ground.
- Helping like organizations and private and public landowners choose preservation by adopting protective easements to preserve open land.